Coins and hills

3:22 pm


"Sikit sikit, lama lama jadi bukit" A malay phrase often used by parents to encourage their children to save money in their piggy banks. I used to be really bad at managing my money. I never saved. I remember getting around RM5 a day when i was in primary school. I would pay for my lunch and not take the balance. I would spend at least RM2 a day. So obviously you guys would know where the balance went. Everyday my mum would have to remind me to take the balance from the canteen lady as it was important. She suggested i put all my spare change in a bottle or a large jar everyday. I listened to her and did as i was told.

As days past, I noticed that the coins in the jar increased. That gave me a new perspective. A new perspective to save. She told me at the end of every month, she would change the spare change into paper notes and I would be able to buy whatever I wanted with the money that I have saved. Oh boy, was I excited! I became so stingy with my pocket money that I would ask my mum to make lunch for me so that I wouldn't have to spend my RM5 in school and would be able to but it in my piggy bank as soon as I get home.

I am turning 20 this year and I'm still such a "strong" saver. Pro saver if I may add hehe Since i moved into my accommodation,i started saving. Living in London is not cheap. Almost everything is expensive. (if you convert) i have a slight tendency to convert pounds into ringgit, thats why... Anywho, last month when my parents were still here, we made a few "visits" to Selfridges and Harrods. Everything was so beautiful. I made a pack with myself, that i would save and buy whatever   I want. 100pounds a month i thought. I guess that would do...

I'm also saving for a trip to Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona and maybe Ireland soon, which would cost around 2000 pounds each. So i definitely need to plan all my expenses carefully. I don't know why but I find saving fun. I don't really spend much everyday so i figure thats why its so easy for me to save.

SJY

You Might Also Like

0 comments